(Sung to the tune of the happy happy joy joy song.)
So FINALLY, after endlessly rambling about stuff, I get to ramble about the specifics. It’s all well and good to call for a split between PvE and PvP, but without giving precise details, I just sound like nut job.
So here we go. Specifics.
1. Eliminate hit mechanics from PvP.
Not all hit mechanics, obviously. Just the base miss chance that all players have against all other players.
Currently, when you cast a spell at an opposing player, you have a 96% chance to hit them. Only 4% of your spells will actually miss, so generally speaking a player without any hit in their PvP gear won’t see very many misses.
What happens to you if that tiny 4% chance to miss pops up right when you cast that super necessary crowd control?
It’s an egregious RNG mechanic that flat out needs to be eliminated. It’s as simple as adjusting a player’s base hit against other players to 100%.
Other than that, nothing else changes. If a DK wants to pick up that Frigid Dreadplate talent, that will continue to work as normal.
Conveniently, this allows for the elimination of all hit from PvP gear, thus placing yet another barrier between PvP and PvE content gear.
2. Eliminate/Change the way spell resistance works.
The current spell resistance system is fraught with RNG.
I propose that the system itself be changed so that it works exactly the same as resilience. Instead of granting random partial and full resists, spell resistance simply reduces the effectiveness of that school of spells by a given percentage.
For instance, having 180 shadow resist would provide a 10% reduction on the damage dealt by all shadow damage, and reduces the duration of all shadow effects by 10%.
Or something. The exact numbers don’t really matter (and I am in no position to assign anything accurate in this regard).
A system like this would still keep generally the same idea, but removes any RNG from the equation.
In the long run, this also allows for more spells in the same line as a priest’s Shadow Protection. Mages bring a Fire and/or Frost protection, druids bring Nature protection… it would also provide a slightly larger incentive for hunters and shamans to use their protection aspects/totems.
It also allows for a whole new level of PvP gear itemization. What if spell resistance came as a defensive stat on many different pieces? And spell penetration came as an offensive stat to counter it? Think of it like the dichotomy between resilience and crit rating.
This would drive another wedge between PvP/PvE gear (something I support). Spell penetration is useless in raiding, as is spell resistance. Well… most of the time.
Note: I am fine with the idea of PvP spell resistance gear being picked up for raiders wanting to do fights like Sapph or any of those other resistance gimmicky fights. I see no issues with bringing gimmick gear to a gimmick encounter.
3. Talents like Sudden Death eliminated, adjusted or toned way the hell down.
I shouldn’t even need to go into detail here.
Sudden Death is a talent that gives Arms Warriors a 9% chance to allow the use of Execute, regardless of their target’s actual health total.
While not nearly as bad as it has been in previous incarnations (doesn’t function exactly like a normal execute), the idea behind it seems rather terrible.
I realize that warriors need some help PvP-wise (and arms warriors need raiding help, too), I don’t think something this RNG dependent is any good for the game. It may be okay for raiding content, but it is not ok for PvP.
I put things like Frostbite, Improved Hamstring, and the (old) Entrapment in the same category.
The way Blizzard has handled Entrapment proves that it’s possible to remove the RNG from these abilities with some thought.
The old Entrapment provided a chance to immobilize targets in the hunter’s frost trap. Now, it simply immobilizes everything when the trap is triggered (the number of traps it effects has been increased too).
4. Change Fear mechanics.
Here we go. Finally, the idea that kicked off all these posts.
Fear is a crowd control ability that forces the victim to flee in some random direction.
The movement part needs to be eliminated.
Rather than having someone run totally at random, the player afflicted instead doesn’t go anywhere. Maybe they shuffle around a little bit on the spot (same way a mage’s polymorph allows movement), but the whole “run out into the middle of the arena” thing is eliminated.
I have a huge problem with the way fear effects currently work.
Positioning is one of the most important things in PvP combat. Forcing another player to change their position, luring players out into the open… these are powerful strategies.
Remember that Blink Master video I linked a while back? There’s some excellent examples of what I mean there. In 2v2 arena combat against a team with a druid in it, the two mages don’t go after the druid until the druid is in the open.
And when the druid is in the open… away from his precious pillars… all hell breaks loose.
But when this change of positioning has nothing to do with player skill, and has everything to do with totally random directions, it’s unacceptable.
Naturally, all fear effects would be changed this way. Fear, Death Coil, Psychic Scream, Intimidating Shout, Howl of Terror…
Forcing a healer from cover because you’re pressuring one of their teammates? That’s cool.
Forcing a healer from cover because the RNG decides it wants to take a lovely jaunt in the sunshine? Not cool.
Conveniently, this would also totally eliminate all of those “feared into a wall” geometry issues, and allows any fear effect to become a reliable CC ability in PvE content.