Ahh, mages. Arguably the squishiest class in the game, and yet capable of terrifying power, solid crowd control, and the most powerful burst capability of any class in the arenas.
– Almost all arena mages are specced deep frost (either a 17/044 or 0/0/61 build) due to that specs superior survivability and control to the other specs. This appears to be changing, but for now, frost is still the go-to tree for arena mages.
– Similar to hunters, a mage left without pressure can deal a massive amount of damage very, very quickly, to any class.
– Decent mana longevity, due to Evocate and mana gems.
– Has the longest spell school lockout ability in the game, which just so happens to be off the GCD, instant cast, and ranged. Counterspell is devastating.
– Very strong crowd control, via polymorph and multiple snares/roots. Even a few seconds of successful mage CC can completely turn the tide of a battle.
– Invisibility, as much controversy has surrounded it, is still a very effective tool.
– One of only two classes that can render themselves completely immune to focus fire. (more…)